Authorities in the U.S. and New Zealand have coordinated to take down big time male enhancement and supplement spammers Lance Atkinson and Jody Smith, and their Target Pharmacy, Canadian Healthcare, Inet Ventures, Tango Pay, Click Fusion, and TwoBucks Trading spam operations. Lance Atkinson and Jody Smith were the muscle behind what Spamhaus has called “the biggest spam gang in the world,” and they recruited countless affiliates to send their spam through a spam affiliate program called Affking.
A teenaged girl is facing felony child pornography charges after sending nude cell phone pix (a practice now known as “sexting”) of herself to classmates. The teen, from (really, we couldn’t make this up) Licking Valley High, was charged with, among other things, illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material (the cell phone pics), as well as possession of criminal tools.
Under a law which takes effect next week, Nevada businesses must start encrypting their email, or face a penalty.
This week sees a lawsuit between the City of Chicago and the owner of the Chicago2016.com domain, between the RIAA and anti-RIAA blogger Ray Beckerman over his blog “Recording Industry v. The People”, and between the EFF and Bush and dog in Jewel v NSA. And for good measure, while not Internet-related, a lawsuit to keep both Obama and McCain off the Texas ballot.
Last year Jennifer Reisinger of Sheboygan, Wisconsin, was ordered to remove a link from her website to the Sheboygen police department. Reisinger, who runs Brat City Web Design, had linked to the Sheyboygen PD from her community spirit site, Sheboygen Spirit. Despite the fact that the link to the Sheboygan police department was among several other links to various Sheboygan public service sites, the Sheboygan city attorney demanded that the link to the police department be removed – and, the demand was made via a Cease and Desist letter. Then the Sheboygan police department started a criminal investigation into the link! All because, Jennifer Reisinger alleges, she supported an effort to recall Sheboygan Mayor Juan Perez.
Whenever somebody starts ranting about “the damn lawyers”, of which I’m one, mind you, I’m fond of saying “you know, 95% of the lawyers out there… make the other 5% of us look really bad.” It’s tongue-in-cheek, of course, because people expect the message following the “…” to be that 95% of the lawyers are good, and it’s the small 5% that are the bad apples. And, of course, in reality usually the numbers do flow in that direction. But unfortunately, sometimes, it’s all to true. But even I, jaded though I am, was stunned when this little gem – this blog comment spam – advertising the firm of Gersowitz, Libo & Korek – landed on the Internet Patrol today.
The Internet is all abuzz today with a line from Google’s response in the invasion of privacy lawsuit filed against Google by Aaron Boring and Christine Boring of Pennsylvania. That line is “Complete privacy does not exist.” There’s only one problem – Google didn’t actually say it.
Prolific spammer Eddie Davidson was arrested last year, and, in April was sentenced to twenty-one months at the Federal prison in Florence, Colorado – about 3 hours north of Denver. This past Sunday, Davidson escaped from Florence Prison, and is at large.
The rise in social media sites such as Facebook and Myspace has been a boon for prosecutors, who are finding incriminating pictures on such sites – pictures which have been admitted as evidence in court, and used to increase penalties, sentences, and prison time!
Employees who read and send work email after hours – particularly using an employer-provided mobile device such as a Blackberry – may end up suing their employer for overtime hours incurred while performing work-related email tasks on the devices, outside of the course of the normal business day.
Google had its Gmail tail handed to it on a platter when a German court held – not once, but twice (in preliminary and final orders) – that it could not use the name “Gmail” in Germany, as it infringed on a prior user of that name. As a result, Google is banned from using the Gmail name in Germany, and German Gmail users and others in Germany who wish to access the Google email service are banned from accessing the service via the Gmail name.
It was almost exactly a year ago that a Connecticut jury convicted substitute teacher Julie Amero because the computer in the classroom in which she was substitute teaching started displaying pornographic pop-ups during the the class; nevermind that it was the fault of school for not providing adequate security protection on the computer. Now the same thing has happened to Michael Fiola, of Massachusetts. Michael Fiola lost his job and was arrested because the laptop his employer gave him had inadequate security and was compromised by a child-porn downloading trojan.