Happy Spamiversary to You

If you find this useful please share it!



 

Quick! Where on the Internet were you on April 13, 1994?

Many of you are probably saying “Dude, I hadn’t even heard of the Internet in 1994! Had Al Gore invented it yet?”

Others of you, however, will remember that date, exactly 10 years ago today, as being the day that Canter and Siegel unleashed their flood of Green Card spam on an unsuspecting Internet.


 

While arguably not the first spam ever sent (that dubious honour has been attributed to, among others, Canter and Siegal, a DEC marketing rep who sent email to every Arpanet address on the west coast, and a chimp named Maury hawking generic vacuum tubes and herbal punch cards from Canada), the Green Card spam is unquestionably the event which sticks in our collective consciousness as the first problem Spam, with a capital ‘S’. (Proving, once again, that old adage that 95% of the lawyers out there give the other 5% of us a bad name.)

(Article continues below)
Get notified of new Internet Patrol articles for free!
Or Read Internet Patrol Articles Right in Your Inbox!
as Soon as They are Published! Only $1 a Month!

Imagine being able to read full articles right in your email, or on your phone, without ever having to click through to the website unless you want to! Just $1 a month and you can cancel at any time!
Happy Spamiversary to You

Of course, that was Usenet, this is now. The picture is much different now, but the bottom line is the same: it’s about people sending massive amounts of dreck, spreading it around as wide as they can, on the theory that if you throw enough mud up against the ceiling, some of it is bound to stick.

And you know what? It does. Amazingly, people buy herbal viagra and weight loss products from spam, people give deposed Nigerian leaders money, and, by gum, I’m sure that some people paid Canter & Siegal to do what they could have done for themselves for the cost of a postcard and stamp.


 

Call it morbid curiousity, but I’d like to know how many.

No Paywall Here!
The Internet Patrol is and always has been free. We don't hide our articles behind a paywall, or restrict the number of articles you can read in a month if you don't give us money. That said, it does cost us money to run the site, so if something you read here was helpful or useful, won't you consider donating something to help keep the Internet Patrol free? Thank you!

Happy Spamiversary to You

Get notified of new Internet Patrol articles!

If you find this useful please share it!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *