Apple unveiled the new iPhone 5 and their new connector cable, Lightening. What Apple today called “the biggest things to happen for iPhone since iCloud,” eager Apple fans are calling, “meh.”
Apple unveiled the official iPhone 5, which does not appear to be much different from the iPhone 4S. The phone was introduced as being, “designed and built to an exacting level of standard unlike anything we, or anyone in our industry, have made before.” Except the last iPhone, apparently.
In a move that Engadget has called “soul crushing,” Apple has completely done away with the old iPhone connectors, creating the new Lightning connectors, that will require adapters for those who get the new iPhone, but still have old iPhone accessories. It is reportedly not compatible with micro-usb cables.
|Get notified of new Internet Patrol articles for free!
Here are the details of the new iPhone 5:
- It is 18% thinner than the last iPhone, and 20% lighter. It weighs 112 grams and 7.6mm thick.
- It has a 326ppi Retina display which is 4 inches. The resolution is 1136×640
- GPRS, EDGE, EV-DO, HSPA, HSPA+, DC-HSDPA and LTE, with Sprint, AT&T and Verizon supporting LTE in the US
- It has a single chip for voice, data and radio
- Like the 4S, the iPhone 5 can automatically switch antenna connections
- The new chip is called the A6, and the CPU, as well as the graphics, are twice as fast
- The battery life is 8 hours over 3G or LTE and 10 hours over WiFi
- The camera is 8 megapixels and has a 5 element lens and f/2.4 aperture.
- The front-facing camera is 720p
- The audio system consists of three microphones and they are on the front, bottom and back of the phone, for voice recognition and noise cancellation
- The new connector, called “Lightening,” can be plugged in both ways (meaning it doesn’t only plug into the phone facing one direction), is all digital, and 80% smaller
- The phone will come in black, or white with a raw aluminum backing
- The phone does not come with NFC
- Siri has been fine-tuned to provide more accurate information
The new phone is going to start shipping on September 21st in the US, Canada, UK, France, Australia, Germany, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore, then shipping to 20 more countries next month. Pre-orders begin this Friday, September 14th. The pricing is:
$199 for 16GB
$299 for 32GB
$399 for 64GB
That is contract pricing, although the iPhone 4 is now free on contract. The 4S is $99.
If you are already in the market for a new phone, the iPhone 5 will likely not be too shabby, but if you were anticipating the iPhone 5 announcement would be ground-breaking – better luck next year.
No Paywall Here!
The Internet Patrol is and always has been free. We don't hide our articles behind a paywall, or restrict the number of articles you can read in a month if you don't give us money. That said, it does cost us money to run the site, so if something you read here was helpful or useful, won't you consider donating something to help keep the Internet Patrol free? Thank you!
|Get notified of new Internet Patrol articles!