A hacker, who goes by the name “Guccifer”, has hacked the email accounts of former president George W. Bush, as well as the accounts of his family and friends, and has taken to posting his findings online, including private photos, emails and private home addresses. Guccifer told The Smoking Gun, who broke the story, that he isn’t worried about the feds coming after him because they have actually been investigating him for awhile and this latest stunt is “just another chapter in the game.”
The mined data published includes:
- Paintings by President George W. Bush, sent to his sister Dorothy Bush Koch (whose email was also breached).
- A list of the names, address, phone numbers and email addresses for several dozen Bush family members, which includes both George W. and George W.H. Bush, and their children.
- A picture of President George H.W. Bush looking quite frail in the hospital, and another of George H.W. with President Bill Clinton.
- President George W. Bush with Ralph Lauren.
- An email from former Chief of Staff Jean Becker to the children of George H.W. Bush during the time that the president was sick, letting them know that the president’s funeral team planned out a service should it be needed.
- An email by one of President Obama’s aides to President George H.W. Bush, saying “Michelle and I haven’t wanted to impinge on you while you are recuperating, but please know that we are thinking of you and the entire family.”
- An email by President George W. Bush to his siblings, asking them to contribute to the eulogy for their father, saying, “Hopefully I’m jumping the gun, but since the feeling is that you all would rather me speak than bubba, please help.” (“Bubba” is President Clinton’s nickname)
- An email reply to the above email by President George W. Bush’s brother Jeb, suggesting that the eulogy includes how President H.W. Bush helped restore President Clinton’s “sordid reputation” after the scandal broke around his affair with Monica Lewinsky, with George W. Bush replying, “Might be tough to say it that way in a eulogy with President 42 there.”
Said George W.’s sister, Dorothy, about the hackings, “Why would someone do this?” (we can think of a million reasons why someone would be motivated to hack a former president’s email account, but none justify the pointless posting of personal photos). The Secret Service has confirmed that they are investigating this issue, but have not said much more beyond that.